Thursday, June 12, 2008

Miscallaneous thoughts...

South Africa has been one of the greatest things I have ever experienced. This country and the things I have done while here have opened my eyes to many things. It is sad that it takes something like this to do that to someone. However, like I said, this experience has been absolutely amazing and I wouldn't have traded it for anything. The people I came with and the people I met are all beautiful people. I love South Africa and will most definitely return, hopefully in the near future.

This Tuesday night, a few of us went to the Counting Crows concert, which was great. It was so fun. One thing we all noticed was that no one really danced or got into the music. We didn't let that spoil our fun. We danced and sang all night. Another thing that bothered some of us were these two guys we met before the bands came on. We were talking to them and the conversation turned into somewhat of a political discussion. They said something to the effect of, "apartheid should have never ended" and that"black people are ruining this country."

I don't even know what to say to that. Just revisiting that moment makes me so mad that I can barely type. I cannot understand the attitude some people have in this world. Why hate? Why can't everyone just be happy? I know that sounds cliche, but really, what is the deal? I love everyone for who they are. People are people. If it is one thing I have learned here, it is that we are all brothers and sisters. I think that some people just enjoy conflict or just need someone or something to be mad at.

Brian and I had a discussion today about analyzing situations and experiences. We both agreed that we are all asking why. For me, my big "why?" question recently has been, "why is is that a political leader can even begin to relax let alone go to bed each night when he/she knows that the needs of all of their people are not taken care of?"

Thank you for reading my tangent. I know a lot of this sounds cliche, but it is how I feel.

Uthando noxolo. Love and Peace.

JB

1 comment:

Mike said...

You must understand that there is a complex political situation that you as a shelteres American know almost nothing about.

Also what you learn from the political lectures at UCT(One of the countries most liberal and political universities, is likely to be very one sided). There are two sides to every story.

The truth is that Appartheid was bad, but not as terrible as it was made out to be. Blacks had access to better education and health care under the old regime.

South Africa was also an incredibly safe country - one could sleep with one's front door open and not be afraid of crime, the situation is very different today.

The current government has done terrible damage to the country - Just look at inflation figures, crime and the endless corruption one sees in the newspapaers.