Saturday, June 7, 2008

HIV/AIDS Support Group

On Wednesday, we went to the HIV/AIDS support group at JL Zwane. To be honest, I wasn't sure as to what to expect. I wasn't sure that the attendees even wanted us there. The session started off with a prayer and then the facilitator introduced us to everyone and informed them of our being in attendance.

They had to alter their normal schedule a little bit. And they also mainly spoke in English, rather than the usual Xhosa. This turned out to be very valuable, as I felt we were able to obviously understand but also engage in discussion. The facilitator first opened the floor for anybody to talk. A few people shared their stories and some of the recent things they were going through.

After awhile, some of the attendees started asking us questions. I felt very accepted that they valued our opinions. They felt our concern for them by us just being there and letting them know why we were there. They asked us about HIV/AIDS in the US and other things. But as soon as they knew we were there for them, I saw them welcome us with their eyes and thank us for caring about them.

Again, another thing I feel I cannot totally explain in words. I just felt it. These people are going through something many us cannot even fathom, but they are fighting and determined to proceed living their lives. I love that.

After the discussion was over, we ended in prayer and holding hands. After that about seven or eight of the attendees came up to us and told us they loved us and gave us all hugs. It felt so good for them to acknowledge our care for them and for them to be so welcoming. Many of the attendees didn't say anything, they just gave us a huge smile and a big hug.

Much love. Peace.

JB

No comments: